Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Spider and the Butterfly

There was once a caterpillar that was ever so content with his life, until one day he got the urge to take a nap. He couldn’t find anywhere that seemed cozy so he made himself a cocoon and nestled up for his slumber.

When he woke up he found he had radically changed. He had large, cumbersome wings that were bright and attracted the attention of many a predator. Given he had always had a fear of heights he didn’t take much pleasure in flying and when he did fly he found that he was now at the will of the winds as his light weight and large wings made it hard to resist even the slightest breeze. Lastly, this radical change was a reminder of his impending doom. He realized that he was now closer to death than he had been as a caterpillar. This greatly worried our metamorphosed friend.

One day he sat upon a tree branch lamenting his ill-fortune. He long yearned to be a caterpillar again with no worries but to eat and be happy. A spider overheard him, and being as cunning as she was, lured the brooding butterfly into conversation.

“If you’re as unhappy as you are, why don’t you wrap yourself up in a cocoon again and wake up as a caterpillar?” asked the spider, knowing full well that this was impossible for the butterfly.

“Woe is me, for I can not spin silk any longer. It appears I have lost my silk for my wings,” cried the butterfly.

“Ah, well you’re in luck. As you can see, I can spin web all my life. I’d gladly wrap you up and help you,” replied the spider.

“Thank you! You know, you’re not as terrible as all say you are. To be honest, I had long feared you to be an enemy but now see you are the only true friend I have. All my other friends have told me I must learn to deal with my new found state and try to enjoy myself as I am and not to wish for things I cannot have. But you, you alone, have offered me a way out of my dilemma!”

And with that the butterfly flew into the spider’s web and was immediately wrapped up by the deceptive spider. At first all seemed to be going according to plan until the next morning the spider sunk its fangs into the trapped butterfly.

“Aye!” cried the butterfly. “What are you doing? I thought you were my friend!”

“Don’t worry. Soon you shall go to sleep from my bite and you shall feed me.”

“But what of me becoming a caterpillar again?” asked the butterfly.

The spider did not respond but instead waited for the butterfly to tenderize from her bite and soon ate up the credulous insect.

Those who tell you what you want to hear are not always your friends; friends may not always tell you what you wish to hear while enemies readily will

Or

Substituting harsh truths with comforting lies is no way to go about life.

No comments: